Creating a Video from Timelapse Stills

edited September 2014 in General
Lightroom 5.0 is great for editing stills taken using the Axis 360 simply because one can edit a single still and extend the changes automatically to all the stills in the series. However, LR5 will not create a video. One can drop the stills into Final Cut X to create the video. I've also heard of a LR "add-on" that will create a video which can be imported into FCX. Anyone have any experience or recommendations for software to do this?

Comments

• Hi Kern.

Yes, this is one way you can create a timelapse. You can do the same with e.g. AfterFX (droppig the sequence in).
    A really cheap way is to get Quicktime Pro. Here you can load in a sequence of jpgs (which you have color-corrected in Lightoom before) and render it out to get a timelapse mov.-file. This is a really fast way. Quicktime will do it within one minute, more or less.
    These files can be edited with any software like avid, fcx, premiere.....
  • Adamus:

Thanks for your suggestion. I've read the Quick Time manual and am a bit confused: The manual states that you can load sequentially numbered stills (filename1, filename2, filename3, ....) and create a slide show at a suggested 2-3 seconds per slide. I did not see anything about creating a .mov file with a frame rate of 24fps. Am I missing something here?

Kern
  • Here is my workflow. Download a program for Mac/PC called mPeg Streamclip... made by Squared5... really great stuff. Anyway it allows a near-perfect mirror of available export options that you'd find with a traditional NLE. The advantage of many export opitons lies not in the breadth, but the quickness the timelapse can be compiled. 1000 photos can be combined much faster than what my experience has been with PPro and AE. AM Encoder is great don't get me wrong, but for timelapse... and especially when you want to further edit the footage in that NLE, using mPeg Streamclip is awesome.
  • edited August 2014
    This is after you've exported out your desired flavor from Lightroom.
  • @ Kern.
    Yes, you're missing something. ;)
    First, it's not the free Quicktime, you need quicktime PRO.
    Then you get a option called 'file --> load sequence' (it's grey and not usable in the normals qt version). Here you can choose your framerate (from 5 to 60 fps, I think). Quicktime will create your timelapse withhin seconds. Now you can have a look and if everything looks good you can export with different settings (framerate, datarate/quality....) And the export is fast, 20 to 60 seconds, depending on the length of your timelapse.

The way BMCfinVid explains seems to be similar in some ways. And he/she is right: Doing a timlapse via Lighhtroom-->AfterFx/PPro/FCX/other NLE isn't that quick.

Creating a timelpase with a NLE has a other possibility, which can be usefull:
    Normaly you would correct your stills in Lighroom and export as 1920x1080.
    When using e.g. AfterFX you can load the whole RAW-sequence (Before you will have to correct in Lightroom and save the correction with the option 'save metadata' Any Adobe program can read these lightroom-metadata. You dont 'burn in' the corrected information into the image, like it would be when exporting jpgs. Lightrom will create a matadata-file, which can be read by AfterFX, Premiere, Photoshop).
    This sequence than is way larger than 1920. That means, when using a 1920sequence in AfterFX, you will have much space to refitting/recutting/framing your images.
    E.g. you can crop and scale your first image and set a keyframe, cut/crop out the last image, scale it a different way and set another keyframes. AfterFX will now create a 'camera-movement' between the keyframes.

Another usefull option is: When you have shaky footage (strong wind did shake your tripod) AfterFX can stabilize the footage. But this takes long time. Depending on your computer a 10 seconds/250frames timlapse will take half an hour to get stabilized and again maybe up to 10 minutes to export as a final clip.

Hope that have been helpfull.
    Have fun with your axis!
    Bye, Adamus
  • edited August 2014
    My workflow for mPeg Streamclip is similiar to what is described above. Thanks @Adamus...

What I have found works for me is being able to export full res out of lightroom, bringing it into mPeg Streamclip by loading as an image sequence. Then when I set the export I can choose to maintain the aspect ratio of a canon dSLR (5184x3456). In this way you can add movements in post to really set the footage apart and make it appear as if the footage was shot on a longer slide.

If I can post links.... take a look at this.... /watch?v=K22o6xlQDuk (1080p using the above method)

and a 4k timelapse using the same method (also maintaing full res instead of dropping to 1080p) /watch?v=FY1wgmMU2QU
  • I use Adobe Premiere Pro to make my timelapses. Its really easy to use if you have access to it, I attached a simple tutorial with images :)
  • Adobe After Effects also does a good job - I've used both.
  • Whoa, lots of great workflows here.

I like prefer the QuickTime Pro option, as it is very fast. But, I haven't tried some of the other options mentioned. My preferred sequence:

Adobe Photoshop: edit one Raw photo or first and last
    LRTimelapse: copy or interpolate RAW settings across sequence
    Adobe Bridge: batch process JPGs
    QuickTime Pro: compile video
    Final Cut Pro: clip, scale, retime, final color detail
  • Open Source workflow (all programs are free):

- http://www.darktable.org/ edit first/last RAW, then use
    darktable-cli $f.CR2 first_image.xmp $f.jpg to process all images from a script
    - (I have not found anything comparable to LRTimelapse)
    - Create HQ clip with:
    mencoder -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg -mf type=jpeg:fps=$FPS -vf scale=3840:2560 "mf://*.jpg" -o out.avi
    Note: Scale is for 4K and preserves 3:2 aspect ratio of Canon sensors. Cropping to 16:9 is better done later
    Note 2: For initial editing on a weak CPU (laptop) better use something like: -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:autoaspect:vqscale=3 and scale to 720p instead
    - http://www.kdenlive.org/ for arranging clips, adding sound and cropping to 16:9

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file