S-M-S Timelapse on Slider Stops Half Way Through

I have been running tests for the last two days and no matter what I try, my Axis360 can not complete a time lapse. It usually stops taking photos around 50-75% of the way through the program. I am on 2.5 and have reset the controller countless times.

My settings are as follows:

General Tab:

Record - TimeLapse
Setup - Run
Loop - Off
Scrl Speed - 95
Scrl Ramp - 0

Motor Tab:

Motor Type - Slider
Motor Delay - 300ms
Motor Sleep - Off
Keep Powered - Off
Speed - Medium (I have tried slow, medium, high)

Camera Tab:

Camera - Canon
All other setting at Default

PROGRAM Settings:

Distance - 54 CM
Exposure - 1.6s (camera set to bulb)
Record Time - 10 min
Playback time - 12 sec
Playback FPS - 24
Move Type - SMS
Direction - CCW
Ramp 0%

So if I want a 12 second clip at 24 frames per second, I need 288 exposures. I want the camera to move 54 cm while capturing these 288 exposures. That means that the controller should be instructing the motor to move a certain distance between each shot...In this case (54 cm/288 = 0.1875 CM between each shot). Why else would you have distance as a factor in this type of setup if the controller does not move the entire distance, and why is the controller stopping before the full 288 exposures has been taken?

Its not a timing issue...the camera shoots, writes, then the motor turns on, moves the camera, stops, controller triggers another shot....then repeat. I have full charge on all of my equipment etc.

Is there a fundamental flaw with the S-M-S programming on the Axis360? There are two other posts on this subject in the forum that I have read and Cinetics just comes back and says,,,adjust this parameter or that to try to get your timing right....but that makes no sense. The S-M-S function should be looking at your time lapse requirements (exposure time, number of exposures required to attain desired playback length, and distance requirements.....and using this data to instruct the motor to move your camera a proper distance over specified timing requirements, all while taking the full number of exposures required.).

Am I missing something here?

Comments

• So I actually think I figured out the problem. I tested this in Key Frame mode and have yet to try it out in Run mode. The recording time has to be set beyond whatever time it will take to move the camera from one end of the track to the other. I guess the controller is unable to make this calculation based on the parameters entered so it took a little guess work and simple math on my part. Alas, the program completed and captured all of the shots required for the time lapse. Now to see if the same applies to "Run" mode....although Run mode seems redundant when Key Frame essentially accomplishes the same thing.
  • Hey there, you are right, the run time needs to be longer.
    If you're shooting for a 12s at 24 fps video, that is 288 photos. And your record time is 10 min (600s). 288 photos in 600 seconds means the max exposure for each photo would be 600/288~=2s. But your camera needs time to save the photo, so the max exposure is even shorter.
    So for 288 photos at 16s exposure, let's add a couple seconds to save the photo to the camera and set a 288 x 18s = 5184s minimum run time, which rounds up to 1.5 hours.
    So, you're right, you need a longer run time to allow all the photos to be exposed.
    Hope that helps!
  • HI Justin,

Given your statement that Mstephens77 needs to have a greater run time, what would be a useful formula for figuring this out... Would you multiply the exposure time as set on the Controller x the number of images and add a certain percentage, say 3%, to come up with a total run time to input into the controller?.

I guess I was under the understanding that the controller would figure in the additional time needed for saving the image to card and moving the camera once you set the other parameters?

Thanks for your answer...

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file