Lynx Motor Adjustment

edited October 20 in Lynx
Oh NO!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to edit this. I didn't think I'd like... have admin powers? Whoops.

Comments

• edited September 5
    Hi Justin,

OH, that simple is the backlash adjustment ? Will try it in the afternoon.

On the other Hand after a certain time, if too tight, they will polish in by themselves as we have a Steel worm on a Brass gear :-)

Thanks Rainer
  • Hi Justin,

I followed your instructions but faced a common problem when using worm and gear reduction. As the gear has always a certain excentricity you have to back off until you pass troublefree the mountain of the gear and then you have on the opposite side in the valley backlash again.

I have a lot of experience with this problem as I am Amateur Astronomer and every ecuatorial mount with Worm and Gear has this problem. So when I got my ecuatorial mounts I changed the worm arrangement and made a floating pressure system which presses the worm against the gear and so backlash is nearly no issue. Of course this requires some space which is not here in the motors for the Lynx.

The only better solution is to machine this 2 pieces to a tighter tolerance which will make the whole enchilada more expensive :-)

Best regards
    Rainer
  • Hi Justin, I have the problem with the motor to. But only on the pan motor. I tried to fix it but I can't fasten the motor.

Please provide an different solution or an motor exchange for the pan motor.

Please find the video via this URL:.

Kind regards.

Alexander
  • Hi Justin,

I had the idea that you maybe find a solution be using distance washers with thickness of 0,05 mm steps to put this behind the bearing in the bearing retainer.

The washers should be cut out in the center so there is no pressure to the center part of de bearing,

Pleas could you check whether this is a valide option to fix the tolerance problem to eliminate the backlash on the motor.

Kind regards.

Alexander
  • edited September 7
    Quote Alexander

" I had the idea that you maybe find a solution be using distance washers with thickness of 0,05 mm steps to put this behind the bearing in the bearing retainer. "

On which axis ?

Wormgear or Worm ?

... and what do you think will this do in order to minimize the backlash ?

The Problem from my point of view are two

The distance between Wormgear (easily solvable by specifying better measurements to the machining mill) and Worm as well as the excentricity of the Wormgear (also solvable by specifying a tighter tolerance to the machining mill)

As I already wrote before the excentricity of the Wormgear does not allow us to overcome the backlash Problem

One thing I remember having seen is that the wormgear is a straight cutout gear which is easier and faster to mill then a wormgear with rounded teeth. This Lynx Wormgears will wear out quite fast as the pressure surface of the worm on the teeth of the wormgear is punctual and not over a bigger surface :-) which with the time will give us again more backlash.

Rainer

• Here's some added instructions.
  • The instructions Augie and I added are only necessary if this was not checked during our QA process or was adjusted since then somehow. Most any Lynx sent besides the early Kickstarter kits do not need this adjustment.

The play shown in @AJG 's video is about normal. We're working towards a solution to minimize or eliminate this now, and will update soon. Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for your patience.

AJG, thanks for your suggestion. I don't think adding washers outside the bearing would effect it, the issue seems to be with extra space between the worm and the worm gear. If you try sliding the worm out with the cap off the motor, you'll see the play doesn't seem to change.

Rainer, are you referring to a globoid design when you mention rounded teeth? A globoid design ended up not being possible largely do to how small the gears are. Or do you mean the filet radius on the profile of the tooth?

Thanks again for the feedback and patience with this issue!
  • Hi,

No, what I mean is that maybe get the teeth of the Wormgear to touch more of the worm itself. See attached images.

Maybe you could get a better machining of the Wormgear with much less excentricity. I measured one of your Wormgear and it is truly horrible. You can see the excentricity.

What I didi was to take a flat metal piece and put it on the outer Wormgear circumference and tuened the the Wormgear. You can see the flat metal piece go up and own. the excentrivity was at maybe 0.1mm which is quite a lot

Talk to your machinist and see if you can get it down or check the play between Wormgear axle and Wormgear hole (in which you push the axle) and see if there is the culprit of the excentricity.

regards Rainer
  • Hi, I could fix it by adding washers behind the bearing.

Regards.

Alexander
  • Hi Alexander,

Great. Can you explain how you did it so other can also profit from you experience ?

Thank you and regards Rainer

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file